With a dull grey sky outside, and a distinct lack of festive decor inside, I thought now would be a good time to share this rather cheerful crafting project!
A little while ago I decorated some of my bunting collection with ‘Under A Glass Sky’ as a sort of banner to hang up at my craft market stalls. And so now that I’m taking a break from stalls over the winter, I decided it should brighten up my little studio….and it does!
This project is dead quick and easy, requiring NO SEWING, and is a lovely way to display a message…..you could decorate some butning with a new baby’s name as a gift, or make a ‘Happy Birthday’ banner. I have used my own bunting, which I bought a while ago from Rex International….I may well post a how-to on how to make your own in the future though!
What You Will Need…..
- Bunting….one flag per letter, plus one flag for each space (for example ‘Happy Birthday’ would require 14 flags)
- A contrasting fabric for the letters (I used a cotton casement which is easy to work with)
- Tailors chalk or fabric pencil
- Sharp scissors
- Iron-on hemming tape
- Iron and ironing board
- Liquid fabric glue
- A small spatula or paint brush
1. Mark out an outline for each letter on your contrasting fabric, ensuring each fits nicely onto your bunting flags
2. Cut out the letters as neatly as possible
3. Turning each letter face down, cut short strips of the hemming tape and lay on top of the letter, covering as much of the fabric as possible but ensuring you don’t go over any edges
4. Flip the letters over and place one at a time onto the appropriate flag, ironing into position to secure
5. To seal each letter safely onto the fabric, neatly glue the edges down with just a little fabric glue, but making sure you glue all around each letter. If you prefer, you can use a hand applique stitch to secure the edges instead….but it will take a lot longer!
6. Make sure the glue is REALLY dry before folding up your bunting as you could end up with the flags all stuck together if you’re not careful!
7. Proudly hang your bunting wherever you like!
And that’s it!