Few things give me much greater pleasure than foraging for sweet treats and then cooking them up on a lazy weekend! Earlier in the week we went to a nearby hot spot for soft fruits, and whilst the Victoria Plums and Greengages weren’t ready yet, we did get a great haul of blackberries and apples!
As far as I’m concerned, by far the best way to use up such things is in a crumble, so today I baked one up to round off the roast dinner we just yummed up! Here is how I make it my favourite way….
- About 300g blackberries
- About 600g cooking apples
- Stevia or caster sugar to taste
- 200g plain flour
- 100g butter
- 50g golden caster sugar
- 50g demerara sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- Extra spices and sugar to sprinkle on top
How to make it
- Pre-heat your oven to 190 C / 375 F / Gas Mark 5
- Core and peel your apples, and chop into cubes
- Chuck the apples into a pan and cover with boiling water
- Add a good couple of table spoons of Stevia or sugar, depending on how sweet you like it
- Simmer for about five minutes, or until the fruit starts to soften, then add the blackberries
- Simmer for a further minute and then drain the water from the fruit right away
- Have a little taste to decide if you need more sweetening, and add more Stevia or sugar as you like
- Rub together your flour and butter (I start this off in my Kitchen Aid for speed)
- Stir in the sugar and spices, and mix well
- Pour your fruit into a casserole dish and cover with the crumble mix
- Sprinkle over some extra sugar and spice, and pat with your finger tips gently to make the surface bumpy
- Bake in the middle of the oven for about 30 minutes, and remove once the crumble is golden on top
I like mine with custard, but of course ice cream or creme fraiche is yummy too! If you prefer your fruit nice and firm, just skip the fruit stewing stage as it will have enough time to cook in the oven….I just like it nice and soft though underneath the crunchy crumble!
Have you managed to forage any goodies this summer? What are you making with them?!