It’s Friday! The end of the week! The start of the weekend!
And what better way to celebrate than baking up some treats?!
Earlier today I felt like baking, so asked Adam if there was anything he particularly fancied. Top of the list was ‘some chai biscuits’, for which I didn’t have a recipe. So I had a look through my books, picked up a couple of simple biscuit recipes, and set about experimenting. And I have to say, the results have got me feeling rather smug!
I chose some of the most commonly used chai masala spices to add into the mix (there seems to be rather the debate about it, so I just picked the ones I wanted!), and luckily added just the right amount to make my biscuits perfectly aromatic, spicy and sweet. They have a satisfying soft crunch, and a little bit of chewiness due to the ginger and mixed peel. And I made them with nothing more than what we had already in the larder, and it only took twenty minutes to prepare them!
As you can tell, I’m rather pleased with myself, so here’s the recipe so that you can share in the joy!
- 100g organic butter
- 75g golden caster sugar
- 200g plain flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp all spice
- 6 green cardamoms
- 1 clove
- 1 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 25g cut mixed peel
- 2 pieces stem ginger, finely chopped (about 4og)
- 2 tbsp organic milk
How to make them:
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Sift in the flour, cinnamon and all spice
- Remove the shells of the cardamoms and put the contents into a pestle and mortar
- Add the clove and grind together until fine
- Pop these in with the other ingredients and grate the nutmeg in too
- Give it all a good mix before adding the peel and ginger, then mix again
- Add a little milk at a time and mix to combine until you have a soft dough
- Knead lightly on a floured surface, then roll out to about 5mm thickness
- Cut out your biscuits with a cutter or using the rim of a glass
- Place on a lightly greased baking tray, and pop in a pre-heated oven at 200°C
- Bake for 12 minutes or so, until nicely golden and crisp
- Remove from the oven and cool a little on a wire rack before yumming them all up!